I posted about these over on the Shapeways forums, but I neglected to show them off here. The paint job isn’t done yet, but I’m pretty happy with how these turned out. (These are the dice I noted over thisaway, my Gearpunk dice, with freshly fixed D24 over on Shapeways.)
Starting out in white plastic…
I used RIT cloth dye (the white printouts are actually a nylon plastic, and the RIT dye work on nylon), a plastic spoon and a plastic cup. I never did really get the water boiling (I just used hot tap water and 30 seconds in the microwave every six minutes or so), but I kept stirring the dice in the hot water for about a half hour. In retrospect, I probably should have dyed them again to get a darker color (and I should have used a brown instead of black, which just turns out purplish), but they are dark enough to contrast well with the bronze acrylic paint I’m using to pick up the highlights.
…they do look better under different lighting, and in person.
I’m obviously not done yet with the big dice, but I’ll get there after doing all of my other projects. I really want to get Zomblobs! into playtest form within a week, and I still need to make Shapeways see my other signet rings I made. (Healer and Cat glyphs in the druid rings.)
Oh, and I finally pulled the trigger and bought RIFT from Steam’s sale this morning. Maybe I’ll play it sometime next year. I do want to give it a shot, but life is kinda busy at the moment.